Sunday, December 15, 2013

BOTB 12/15/13: "Christmas Time is Here"



This is my first contribution to the blogging event, "The Battle of The Bands (BOTB)" started by Stephen T. McCarthy and FarAwayEyes back in August of this year.  This event occurs twice every month -- on the 1st and the 15th -- and each of the bloggers taking part offers readers a choice of two (or occasionally more) versions of the same song, performed by different recording artists.

Then the readers -- yes, you! -- get to vote for your favorite rendition. 

I think it's a fun thing to do, and plus there are potential prizes involved!  Well, not from me.  But you can visit Stephen's or FAE's blog to get all the details.

Since discovering the BOTB, I've really enjoyed seeing the battles taking place.  I love hearing how a single song can be given multiple interpretations.  Sometimes it's easy for me to pick a winner -- many times it's very difficult. I often discover I like BOTH versions of the song.

I've enjoyed voting in the BOTB posts so much that now I've decided to chime in with my own battle-vids. As I take part, I hope to offer you some great music and some tough choices -- I will try as much as possible to pick tunes where I enjoy each of the options.

So let's kick off my first one!

Since this month is Christmas,  I'm going to start my BOTB posts with a Christmas tune.  It's very easy to find multiple versions of Christmas songs -- it seems like almost every artist has released singles and albums of Christmas music.

For this battle, I'm choosing a song that has had many covers over the years, and it is one of my absolute most-favorites songs of the season: "Christmas Time is Here," written in 1965 by Lee Mendelson and Vince Guaraldi for the animated TV special, "A Charlie Brown Christmas".  There were two versions of the song created for the special -- an instrumental and one with a vocal.  In this battle, I'm going to feature the instrumental version, and give you three alternatives to choose from.

For me, this song is filled with every emotion of the holiday -- when I hear it, it evokes joy, wonder, nostalgia, and bittersweet melancholy.  Especially if the song is done well. And I think I've selected three versions which are done very well. Each feature some really great musicianship and playing.  But I'm not going to say any more than that -- I don't want to influence your vote.

First up, here's the original, as performed by the Vince Guaraldi Trio from the "A Charlie Brown Christmas" soundtrack (1965):



Next, a cover by John Zorn, from "Dreamer's Christmas" (2011):

 

And finally, a cover by guitarist Steve Vai as his contribution to the multiple guitarist Christmas album, "Merry Axemas" (1996), and re-released as part of Seve Vai's compilation "The 7th Song" (2000).


Please give each of the above a fair listen (and you can also check out the links under the names above if you've never heard of Vince Guaraldi, John Zorn, or Steve Vai.  By the way -- that's Vai holding the red guitar in the BOTB logo at the top of this post.  It's from the move "Crossroads"). As you listen to the tunes, try to focus on the music rather than the videos -- the goal is to compare the songs, not the images.  If it helps, shut your eyes while you listen.

Then after listening, please vote in the comments as to which version you think is best, or which speaks to you the most. Feel free to also share as much as you would like about how any of the above recordings strike you, even if it's less than positive.

And finally -- be sure to check out the other BOTB bloggers to vote on their battles:
Thank you very much for listening and for voting -- come back and visit again at the end of the week to find out how the voting has gone!  I'll make a post then with my own vote and also announce the winner!

25 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite secular Christmas songs. The vocal version with the kids singing is so wistful sounding.

    The original Guaraldi version is hard to beat for my tastes. Zorn, while nice, is a bit too spacey for me. I like Vai's guitar playing and his version is a bit better than Zorn's, but still kind of out there. But Vai does a nice job with the song.

    Guaraldi gets my vote because it's the version I've always heard and it captures the real spirit of the song in my opinion.

    Good to have you join us!

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Arlee! It's great to be a part of it -- but sorry I was so swamped with Holiday travel and prep yesterday that I was basically AWOL and didn't get a chance to comment and visit the other BOTB blogs. Will catch up today!

      And Guaraldi gets your vote.

      Delete
  2. This will come as no surprise, but Steve Vai gets my vote. The other two are traditional versions of a song that just doesn't pack much punch for me. However, Vai's version gives it that extra something. Not to mention Vai is one of the masters of guitar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you're right -- I'm not surprised. :)

      And Vai certainly has incredible talent on the guitar.

      Thant makes it Guaraldi 1; Vai 1; Zorn 0.

      Delete
  3. CHRIS ~
    I will need to come back later when I can play the songs (people asleep in the house right now).

    The Vince Guaraldi version I love and own. In fact, when I first started converting my LP collection to CD in '89, the soundtrack to 'A Charlie Brown Christmas' was one of the first ten compact discs I purchased. Almost impossible to imagine I will vote for anyone else when it comes to this tune, but I'll listen with open ears and mind.

    >>... By the way -- that's Vai holding the red guitar in the BOTB logo at the top of this post. It's from the movie "Crossroads"

    Bravo, man, bravo!

    I have been surprised that all along no one ever once asked where that "dueling guitars" photo came from. FAE and I have been using it since 'BOTB #1' and no visitor/voter was curious enough to "axe" about it.

    When I set about to create a logo for our 'BOTB' posts, I had a different idea in mind, but when I was unable to locate a suitable photo after two days of surfing the web, I switched to Plan B: The Dueling Guitars from 'CROSSROADS'. I own the DVD and took a picture of my TV screen and then added the text (using FAE's traditional blue type).

    In all my 'BOTB' blog bits, I've also always included that photograph captioned "Eugene Martone Vs. Jack Butler", and not once has anyone submitted a comment "axing", "Who are Eugene Martone and Jack Butler?" The lack of curiosity in some people astounds me. (I would have been questioning it from 'BOTB #1' if I didn't already know the answers.)

    Anyway... I will return to listen when I can and cast my vote. But right now... just home from work, and my bed is calling my name. ["Hush... Hush... Somebody's calling my name."]

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll check for your vote below. And thanks for the 'bravo', but for me, I never commented on it or expressed curiosity about it on your blog because I pretty much thought it was a universal reference that everyone got. :)

      Delete
  4. Nobody beats the Vince Guaraldi Trio! We wore out the CD a couple Christmases ago and have had to stick with the MP3s ever since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand, Milo; Thanks for voting!

      Guaraldi 2; Vai 1; Zorn 0

      Delete
  5. WOW! You debut with BOTB is a smash hit, at least with me. I love this song. dumb blonde that I can be, I really didn't think of it as a 'Christmas Song'. DUH!

    I was with family over Thanksgiving in Idaho, and we must have watched 'A Charlie Brown Christmas' about a dozen times on turkey day. I spent the 10 hour drive home with this tune running through my head. After just the first few notes, I picture children ice skating.

    Anyway...my vote. All three versions are really pretty good. Not a big fan of the cosmic intro on the Zorn piece, but he leaves that behind pretty quickly. I was prepared NOT to like the Vai version, mistakenly thinking that a 'rock guitar' would really mess with this lovely tune, but not so, it was also quite nice. BUT, for me it has got to be the original Guaraldi Trio. If I hadn't broken my ankle a few years back in a serious 'horse wreck', I would be hunting down my ice skates right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you FAE!

      And I completely understand why the Gurarldi version is a favorite.

      Guaraldi 3, Vai 1, Zorn 0

      Delete
  6. I am discovering that when it comes to Christmas songs I tend to vote traditionally. I think my ear is simply accustomed to hearing the song sound a certain way and doesn't adapt all that well to change. So, it will come as no surprise that the first one (and the original) gets my vote. The Vince Guaraldi Trio!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there's nothing at all wrong with being a traditionalist. There's a reason why they became traditions in the first place. :)

      Guaraldi 4; Vai 1; Zorn 0

      Delete
  7. Alright, I'm back after about 7 hours of sleep, and I've listened to all three (even though I already know the Vince Guaraldi version so well).

    I pretty much second FAE's comment above. I did not care for the gimmicky Intro to the Zorn piece, but when the keyboards settled into the melody it was really nice. And, for the record, Jazz is my favorite musical genre, so I have a healthy appreciation for improvisation, but a bit later in the tune the Zorn crew kind of musically meandered away just a shade too much for my tastes. A good take on what has become a modern classic, however.

    I liked the Vai version more than I anticipated I would. It too was put together well and interesting, but by the end, while enjoying the melody, I felt it had lost the "Christmasness" that I associate with the piece.

    There were no losers here - all were played well, interesting and different - but I'll never shake that piano sound Guaraldi has that makes this song seem so "Wintery" and special to me.

    It's like in boxing... for the challenger to get a decision over the reigning champion, he has to beat the champion pretty convincingly. The challengers here all landed some blows, but neither of them came close to out-pointing the reigning champion. I vote for The Guaradi original.

    Very good debut in 'BOTB', Chris.

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, DFD! I'm glad you enjoyed my BOTB offering! I appreciate you breaking down your vote so well. :)

      -- Guaraldi 5; Vai 1; Zorn 0

      Delete
  8. Another surprise for me, but I loved the Steve Vai rendition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely get it. :)

      -- Guaraldi 5; Vai 2; Zorn 0

      Delete
  9. I have to go with the original. It brings back great childhood memories, so that's probably why I'm more partial to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nostalgia and familiarity can be huge factors in why some songs appeal more to us. I totally get it. :)

      -- Guaraldi 6; Vai 2; Zorn 0

      Delete
  10. Truth, I never liked this song. *cringes and watches for flying tomatoes* I'm such a music snob... It's the melody. It's such a downer. Really. I never felt like the melody matched the message, and thus, it twists my nerves to listen to the song. Plus, I'm not a Charlie Brown fan. *ducking behind the blog partition*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's ok -- no flying tomatoes on this blog. Everybody has their own opinions and taste. Personally, I like the bittersweet aspect of the melody, but that doesn't mean you have to also. Everyone is always free to express their opinions around here, whether positive or negative, as long as they do it respectfully, and you certainly were that.

      So that's now Guaraldi 6; Vai 2; Zorn 0; None-of-the-Above 1

      Delete
  11. I liked the covers well enough, but I've listened to the Guaraldi version since I was a yewt...so he gets my vote.

    You did inspire me to dig out my Merry Axemas CD's, though (I think I have a volume one and two)...the stuff I picked up this year is all too mellow (except for the Bad Religion disc, but that's too punk).

    LC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! I'm glad you liked my first BOTB battle. :) And nothing wrong with being a traditionalist.

      -- Guaraldi 7; Vai 2; Zorn 0; NOTA 1

      Delete
  12. Dude. Steve Vai might be a space alien sometimes. But this is no contest. His version is the one I'd have playing in my house while hot chocolate is simmering on the stove. Runner up is the Charlie Brown Christmas version.
    I really wish I'd have been able to participate in this BotBs, if only to post these versions of Carol of the Bells -
    Tran Siberian Orchestra - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCabI3MdV9g

    ThePianoGuys - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9GtPX6c_kg

    Pentatonix (although I can only listen to this. If I try to watch it I burst into laughter) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSUFzC6_fp8

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get it -- vote noted!

      -- Guaraldi 7; Vai 3; Zorn 0; NOTA 1

      And dude, you should absolutely take part in the BOTB posts! You have a great sense of music, and I'd love to see what you come up with! Although -- your Carol of the Bells suggestions were already done in Robin's BOTB #8: Robin's BOTB #8 although she didn't include the Tran-Siberian Orchestra.

      Delete
    2. She did Carol of the Bells... and didn't... include... Tran-Siberian... ?

      what. the. f

      Holy crap, but she did pick the other two versions I'd been looking at! Redeemed! (not quite)

      Delete

Don't be shy -- feel free to comment. I really appreciate your thoughts.