Monday, January 26, 2015

Create52: #4 -- Can't Stop the Rain



This is the fourth Monday of 2015, and the last one in January -- which means that my Create52 goal has made it through the entire first month!

This has been a fun thing to do and now I'm fully committed. In fact, I can't stop doing this any more than I can stop the rain from falling. So let's use that as a theme for today's Create52 entry.

But first, if you're a new visitor to my blog, let me say "welcome!" and explain what I'm doing here. This is another entry in my 2105 blogging initiative -- to create something new and offer it here on my blog each and every Monday of 2015.  You can get a little more background about my Create52 goal HERE, in my first Create52 post of 2015, if you'd like.

Can't Stop the Rain #1

http://www.wikiloops.com/backingtrack-jam-31594.php This is another piece of music I put together for the wonderful jam site, wikiloops.com. I found a fabulous track originally done  with keys by the user Marceys, then added to with drums by Jaymny and bass by OB-Lix. The original track was called "Can't Stop the Rain" by Marceys, so I stayed with that name.

You can take a listen by clicking on the images to the left or right or on this link: Can't Stop the Rain.

For this tune, I added a clean rhythm guitar track and a echo-y, distorted lead guitar track.  I tried to keep my playing to a minimum during the "verse" sections to allow the beautiful piano and bass playing to come through. During the "chorus" sections, I stayed close to the chord progression in my lead for most of the song, although I stretched out a bit at the end.  

http://www.wikiloops.com/backingtrack-jam-31594.php
But other than taking time to learn the progression and changes for my rhythm, this still ended up being a bit of a "jam" piece in that my lead is a first-pass recording. I definitely hear some things that can be improved, but overall, I think it worked out pretty well.  I enjoy the wistful feel of the song that Marceys put together and it was fun to play over.

Thank you very much for listening!


Can't Stop the Rain #2

I was also inspired by the title and music to come up with another 50-word story. I haven't heard back* on the last two stories I submitted (mentioned in my Create52 post #1) to Tim Sevenhuysen at FiftyWordStories.com, so I'm not sure if I'm going to submit this one. Actually, since I'm sharing it here, I probably won't, and will send Tim two different pieces a little later in February.

But I hope you still enjoy it:

==========

Can't Stop the Rain

The rain falls, and I'm forced to remember.
 
Watching through the rivulets streaming down the window as you left that morning, I had no idea that you'd never return.
 
Still, I've tried to move on.
 
On sunny days, I've even stopped thinking of you.
 
But I can't stop the rain.

==========

*NOTE: 1/29/2015 update: Since originally writing this, I have heard back from Tim on one of the two stories ("I'm Alive"), and Tim published it at FiftyWordStories.com today!  I'll have more to say about this in Monday's Create52 post, but in the meantime you can check out this 50-word sci-fi story HERE.


Thank you very much for stopping by and taking part in my ongoing Create52 effort.  I really appreciate it!



24 comments:

  1. Wow, that flash piece says so much in so few words.
    Listening to the music right now. You did keep it minimal. But any more and it would've overwhelmed the music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very sad flash fiction piece. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful and poignant. However, here in CA, we'd love to have the rain stopping issue. Thanks for posting your flash piece. I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful music, Chris.

    That is such a sad story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made every word count, Chris - that's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another 'home run'; well, two actually. I'm impressed with what you manage to get across in only fifty words. The musical piece really seems to fit that piece of flash. Kind of melancholy and haunting.

    Keep 'em coming, Chris. This is a marvelous endeavour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very, very much FAE! I'm really glad you liked them!

      Delete
  7. Wow, very poignant. Glad I stumbled upon your blog today :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thank you! And I'm glad you stumbled on my blog, too! :)

      Delete
  8. GgC ~
    Hokey-Smoke, man! That instrumental was GORGEOUS! The tone and melody completely captured the "rainy day" feel. It was bold yet also subtly nuanced. Kind of conjured up Carlos Santana in my mind because it also had that very spiritual feeling to it. Yet it was still very much your own. I'm not really a fan of Carlos the man, but I love his style of playing. You're right there with him on this one.

    I believe I can honestly say is my VERY FAVORITE of all your recordings I've thus far heard, and that' really saying something because I've genuinely enjoyed all the others also.

    Dude! This one was really something! Almost makes me feel like crying. Color me impressed as hell, Friend!

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks Stephen! I'm very happy you enjoyed it.

      But I can't really take credit for the composition or the song -- it was Marceys' keyboard that established the chords and song and tone. I just added a couple of tracks of guitar. ;)

      But I do really thank you -- I've gotten that "Santana-like" comment several times before, and I guess I can hear it some, but I've never consciously tried to emulate Santana. I had several records, and especially liked "Abraxas", so I know his influence soaked in, but I find it interesting because I never really tried to copy his licks or try to play like him.

      I think some it comes from that same basic "blues/rock guitarist trying to play jazz" aspect. ;)

      Delete
    2. CHRIS ~
      No, I realized that your contribution to the tune was strictly the guitar but... THAT'S WHAT I LIKE BEST ABOUT IT!

      Also, I owned a number of Santana albums back in the day. My favorites were 'INNER SECRETS' and 'MOONFLOWER' which I played absolutely to death.

      I certainly don't doubt you when you say you have never attempted to emulate him. But I can tell you very clearly where I hear "Santana" in your guitar work here. It's in the TONE - that sound you're getting - and also in the long notes with lots of sustain (and to me, that's what gives it the "spiritual" quality I mentioned). Man, I love this.

      Curiously, I don't think I can offhand remember thinking "Santana" in your other pieces I've heard. On the previous one you mentioned the great Mark Knopfler and David Gilmour, and once you pointed it out, I thought: Yeah, I can get that. But I don't think I'd have made that connection without you mentioning it first. On this one, that Santana-ish tone was immediately noticeable to me, and when combined with the long notes of great sustain, I couldn't miss it.

      I just now listened to this three more times, and like it every bit as much as the first time. Great playing, man.

      ~ D-FensDogg
      'Loyal American Underground'

      Delete
    3. Well, thank you again, very, very much for your added explanation and kind words, Stephen!

      I'm really glad you liked this!

      Delete
  9. Beautiful music, moving story. You nailed them both today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, LD! I really appreciate you saying that!

      Delete
  10. I love the song you've now slotted into my ear. At least, it's a good one. Thanks for dropping by my blog for blitz day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I'm glad you enjoyed it! And you're more than welcome for the Blitz salute!

      Delete
  11. Let me start off by apologizing. As you so rightly pointed out, you have been a regular commentor on my blog and I haven't been to yours even once this year. To be frank, I haven't been to anybody's blog this year, so I'm sorry to everyone...but most especially you. I'd like to believe that we have more than a tit for tat relationship, but that doesn't excuse my absence here. Please accept my deepest apologies.

    I ABSOLUTELY LOVE this piece of music!!!! I think I've told you that I have a playlist made up entirely of your music that I listen to when I write...and this one has instantly become one of my favorites. It's so introspective! A hardy slap on the back to you!

    Everytime I read your writing I'm left scratching my head wondering why you haven't given your CP's something solid to work on. You have a book in you...more than that if you want...you just have to find that story you need to tell to get the ball rolling. But listening to your music I can understand how difficult it is to find the time.

    See you again next week...buddy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DL, I do understand -- no need to apologize. I meant for that stat on your blog to be a joking tongue-in-cheek thing, but I'm afraid it came off as complaining, whiny, or judgemental. That wasn't my intent. We've been writing pals for what -- 7 years now, give or take? And we do absolutely have more than a tit-for-tat relationship, NOT based on how often you comment on my blog. I'm the one who needs to offer an apology.

      But thank you very much for the kind words and support of my music -- it really means a lot to me, and has ever since I first started posted things I'd recorded.

      And I also greatly appreciate your writing support, my friend. I do have a book churning inside me, but time and commitment to sticking it out for the long haul are my biggest stumbling blocks. I'm trying to at least get into the habit of writing and creating on a consistent basis, and to give the CPs at least something regularly. The next step is to take that consistency habit and use it to switch from the sprints of short fiction to the marathon of a novel. My goal is to have it at least half-done this year.

      Thank you again, Don!

      Delete

Don't be shy -- feel free to comment. I really appreciate your thoughts.