|(Photo by Chris J. Fries - 2012: Sunset Peony)|
For this post, I'm taking a brief pause in my Quest for Story series. It will return with part six in my next post on Wednesday or Thursday, but since this is my first post for September, it also means that the sun has set on August.
So for this post, I want to review my August writing goals and make new ones for this month.
Here are the ten goals I posted back at the beginning of August with their month-end results and grades:
1. Give my short story “Too Quiet” a final once-over and resubmit. Completed and submitted (result pending) -- 10 out of 10 points.
2. Finish the editing of the revised “Waiting Backstage” short story and resubmit. Completed and submitted (result pending) -- 10 out of 10.
3. Complete the requested revision of “Apologies” and resubmit. Story revised and edited, but cannot resubmit yet because publication which requested it is temporarily closed for submissions -- I'll call it 8 out of 10.
4. Write at least one new short story or flash piece and submit. New concept created and outlined, and the story has been started, but not yet finished -- so maybe 5 out of 10.
5. Create at least one micro flash piece and submit. Actually, three were written and submitted (and I've already received rejections back on them) -- 10 out of 10.
6. Finish the outline for the revision of my WIP novel, and revise at least the first chapter. Some work done on the outline, but nowhere near finished, and not many chapter revisions made -- Call it only 2 out of 10.
7. Complete the post for Nicole’s Olympic Blog Relay and submit to her for posting on August 6th. Yep, did this -- 10 out of 10.
8. Vote on each entry in DL’s WRiTE CLUB 2012 competition (twice per week). I've voted on every one (and they've expanded to three each week), with long posts offered as feedback like I'd want to hear -- 10 out of 10.
9. Add a new post on this blog at least once each week (preferably twice). Posted twice each week in August -- 10 out of 10.
10. Read and comment on at least ten blogs I follow each week. I've commented on way over 10 blogs each week, so this is definitely 10 out of 10.
So all together, this adds up to 84 out of 100 -- a solid "B" if I'm grading it. Not perfect, but solid. However, I am a little disappointed that more new writing wasn't done. Items 4, 5, and 6 were the goals that focused on this and I only made 17 out of 30 in these, a clear FAIL. So this month I plan to emphasize this area a little more in my goals.
With that in mind, here are my writing goals for September:
1. Finish the short story I began in August and submit.
2. Come up with at least five other new story ideas.
3. Create story outlines for at least two of those ideas.
4. Write and submit at least one story from those outlines.
5. Write and submit at least one piece of micro-fiction.
6. Complete the overall outline revision for my WIP novel.
7. Revise at least the first chapter of my WIP novel.
8. Vote on each entry in DL's WRiTE Club 2012 competition.
9. Take part in Alex Cavanaugh's Genre Favorites blogfest on September 17th
10. Finish my Quest for Story blog series, posting preferably twice a week.
Because I only want ten goals, I haven't included one about visiting and commenting on at least 10 blogs a week, but that is something I will also certainly try to do. I'm also going to submit the re-written "Apologies" as soon as the publication reopens for submissions, but I didn't make that a specific goal.
So with this new set of goals for September, I'm hoping to get some solid writing done. Wish me luck!